Monday, March 05, 2007
Monday Writer's Rant
Thank you all for joining me over at my new blog. I hope you like the new look. I decieded to move the "My Invisible Husband" blog over here. It'll still have the same flair, I hope. I hope you participate in the discussions. All opinions are welcome.

Now on to today's rant. Over the weekend I received a request asking me if I would like to submit my poetry to "their" site. Cool, no big deal. I'm a writer and although it's not a paying gig, I don't mind sharing my poems every now and then. The only condition I gave the person was, "use my byline" (which doesn't cost a thing). I was shocked that the person felt like I was demanding because I requested that my byline be used along with my poem. I had to read their email twice but to make a long story short, I told them I didn't have time to go back and forth on the issue and that I would pass.

I'm ranting about it because why do people always expect writers to do things for free? If I was a singer, you wouldn't ask me to do a concert for free (although for charity I would). So if I say I will let you use my poem for free, why complain because I asked you to add a short 2 sentence bio to go with it. Don't make sense to me.

I was trying to decide on what my topic would be this month over at www.blogginginblack.com, but thanks to the person, I now have a topic. This post will be expanded on the 9th over at Blogging in Black.

In the meantime, do you have some "Oh no they didn't" moments?


3 Comments:

Blogger princessdominique said...

Wow, I know the feeling. People want everything for free and you can't even get a book sale out of the deal. You can't eat thank you. I keep telling people that. I guess I'm ranting too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I love the new look. It's so chocolaty. Yummm . . . LOL Now, I need to go update this link. ;-)

Blogger Shelia said...

PrincessDominique, sometimes it just helps to know you're not going through something alone.

Yolanda, thanks for checking out the new spot.

Post a Comment

<< Home